Knockbreda Parish Church was built by Richard Cassells in 1737. There are many fine tombs around the church although two of its best mausolea have been destroyed in the last thirty years. The architect Sir Charles Lanyon is buried here.

Knockbreda new cemetery was established by Knockbreda Parish Church in 1905 and Castlereagh Borough Council took it over in 1985. There are over 6,500 grave plots in this part of the cemetery.

The picture gallery below shows some of the mausolea and tombs in the older part of the cemetery and there are also photographs of the new cemetery.

The four principle mausolea, including the two destroyed, are shown in James Curl's Mausolea in Ulster. Bill Wilsdon's book on the the sites of the 1798 rising devotes about ten pages to this graveyard. Epitaph of 1798 shows two of the graves.

1 of 27
Home | Prev | Next | End

Home Up Cemeteries Guided Tours Historic Graves Symbolism Sculpture Tomb Types Books Miscellaneous Links Contact